Depression Treatment in Sherman Oaks, CA
The treatment of mental health issues has come a long way in recent years. Not only does having a mental health disorder no longer carry the stigma it once did, but there are also more research-backed ways to treat the symptoms. Depression is one of the most common mental health conditions that people experience, and it can affect a person at any age and from any background. Understanding more about this mental health condition helps you or your loved one get the treatment that is necessary to enjoy a more positive sense of mental wellbeing.
Ketamine For Depression Treatment
Patients with treatment-resistant major depression or treatment-resistant bipolar depression may benefit from ketamine infusion treatment at our San Diego Ketamine Clinic. Ketamine is a prescription medication that is approved for use in hospitals and other medical settings as an anesthetic. It is also now widely being used to treat depression.
Ketamine treatment is considered when patients fail to respond to other antidepressants. It is administered by an IV infusion in the arm, and typically the effects last for anywhere from days to weeks. Side effects are almost always mild and short in duration and may include dissociative changes and temporary elevation of heart rate and blood pressure.
How Does Ketamine Treatment for Depression Work?
Research is still being performed to understand exactly why and how Ketamine for depression is so effective. The current understanding is that Ketamine binds to receptors in the brain that increases the amount of a neurotransmitter called glutamate that is released. This then sets off a chain of reactions within the brain that affects thinking and emotional regulation.
In simple terms, the brain reacts to Ketamine in a way that triggers hormones that help create feel-good emotions. This effect also occurs quickly after a person receives their treatment, but some people may need several treatments before they experience the highest level of benefits.
What are the Different Types of Depression?
There are several different types of depressive disorders that are defined by the severity of the symptoms and how long they last. Certain lifestyle changes, such as having a baby, may also be used to determine which types of depression a person is experiencing.
- Major Depressive Disorder – This type occurs when a person experiences symptoms that last longer than two weeks. The symptoms of depression may also be more severe than what a person with mild symptoms experiences. It is also common for this type to exist along with other forms of the condition.
- Persistent Depressive Disorder – The signs of severe depression can occasionally come and go. However, a person with persistent depressive disorder finds that they have symptoms most days for two years or more. People with this type tend to need to explore every treatment possible to find one that works. Ketamine for depression is often recommended for people with persistent symptoms.
- Postpartum Depression – Women who have recently had a baby can develop this type. It usually develops within the first few weeks after giving birth, but it can arise at any point during the first year.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder – The reasons for this disorder are still not clear. However, some people find that they develop prolonged periods of low energy and a sad mood during certain times of the year. Typically, this is most noticeable during the fall and winter months.
- Bipolar Disorder – With this disorder, people swing from having depressive symptoms to experiencing periods of mania. These cycles of mood swings can happen every few weeks, or multiple times a day.
What are the Common Signs That Someone is Depressed?
How Do You Find Out If You Are Depressed?
How Can I Help a Loved One Who Is Depressed?
The best way to help someone who is showing signs of depression is to bring it out in the open. Let them know that you care and offer to help them find a solution that alleviates their symptoms. Surrounding someone with this condition with support is the best way to help them find the treatment that they need.
Now that more is known about depressive disorders, there is no reason to suffer in silence. New depression treatments in Sherman Oaks make it possible to manage the symptoms of depressive disorders so that everyone has the chance to live life to its fullest potential. Whether you or a loved one needs help, be sure to seek professional treatment that provides long-lasting relief that makes life feel enjoyable again.
Is Ketamine For depression Right For You?
If you or someone you know is suffering from depression and would like to learn more about our Ketamine treatments for depression in Sherman Oaks, contact us today at and schedule your free consultation.
Get In Touch