Ketamine For Migraines
How Does Ketamine Help With Migraines?
The use of Ketamine in migraine disorders has surged over the past few years in light of several studies demonstrating its benefits! They determined that, in involved patients with migraine headache, a ketamine infusion, appropriately dosed, was associated with at least a 50% reduction in acute migraine attack pain compared with placebo! In addition to direct pain relief, during a euphoric, calm, and pleasant experience, Ketamine has shown an approximate 75% reduction in chronic migraine pain at 7- to 10-day follow-up!
You Are NOT Alone
- In the US, it is believed that up to 50 million people may suffer from migraines
- Migraines are not like ordinary headaches; they are often characterized by a pulsing, throbbing pain and perhaps accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to sound and light.
- Migraines that do not respond to treatment are known as refractory migraines.
For some people, aura might occur before or during migraines. Examples of migraine aura include:
- Visual phenomena, such as seeing various shapes, bright spots or flashes of light
- Vision loss
- Pins and needles sensations in an arm or leg
- Weakness or numbness in the face or one side of the body
- Difficulty speaking
- Hearing noises or music
- Uncontrollable jerking or other movements
A migraine Attack usually lasts from four to 72 hours if untreated. Migraines might occur rarely or strike several times a month, and may include:
- Pain usually on one side of your head, but often on both sides
- Pain that throbs or pulses
- Sensitivity to light, sound, and sometimes smell and touch
- Nausea and vomiting
After a migraine attack, you might feel the Post-drome – drained, confused and washed out for up to a day.
Ketamine is helping many people to regain their independence and greatly improve their quality of lives! Imagine being able to enjoy many more migraine free days and decrease the severity of migraines when they do occur. Through our soothing, euphoric, and pleasant Ketamine Infusions, NeuroRelief is helping many of our clients to get back on their feet using the most rapid and groundbreaking therapy available.
- Before Ketamine, a person suffering from migraine headaches may feel trapped, unable to enjoy activities of daily living, living in a vicious cycle of pain, medications, low-energy, and depression
- The emotional toll of migraines can be equal to the pain itself. Patients may withdraw from relationships, family, and the other healthy activities that they theoretically might still be capable of
- Depression, anxiety, and hopelessness are common emotions attached with refractory migraines
- Constantly increasing requirements for medicine, based on our bodies’ rising tolerance, drastically affects quality of life.
- Ketamine has been shown to directly decrease migraine pain and frequency by re-wiring neural circuits and neurotransmitter balances to healthy patterns.
- Additionally, Ketamine treats the emotional components of migraines. Our patients feel empowered to calmly, objectively, process information and thoughts, without the rush of secondary anxieties, negative ruminations, or hopelessness.
- Ketamine dramatically reverses our bodies’ tolerance to medications, making them more effective, and giving the opportunity to lower dosages and regain control of one’s life!
- The Ketamine experience gives each individual the opportunity to gain direct migraine pain relief, as well as self-examine, in a euphoric, safe place. Ketamine serves to re-format migraine related neural pathways, and thought processes, in a space that is filled with calm, soothing and wellbeing.
How Ketamine Works On Migraines?
- Ketamine is an antagonist at NMDA receptors, blocking the excitatory action of glutamate, a neurotransmitter long implicated in the pathophysiology of migraine. This effect is particularly pronounced in the prefrontal cortex and hippocampus, where it decreases the frequency of channel opening and duration of time spent in the active, open state.
- Glutamate has long been implicated in induction of cortical spreading of the neurons play a role in in tractable headaches and migraines.
- In addition to direct pain relief, and a soothing experience, Ketamine is shown to decrease the severity and frequency of migraines by these mechanisms.
At NeuroRelief™, we use evidence-based approaches to patient care. Our clients achieve amazing results, gaining newfound relief, confidence and empowerment. We work closely with each person’s existing neurological or pain management professionals to become an important tool in a multi-faceted treatment approach. We can also assist in arranging referrals to some of our amazing colleagues. We look forward to providing the highest level of service to our clients.